Monday, December 21, 2009

Black Civil Rights and Gay Rights – Same Fight? (Part II)

Wow-wee!! So, I’m just sitting around, typing a blog – minding my own business -- when suddenly, all of these people respond with what are incredibly insightful and passionate arguments! And as promised, I will conclude my discussion on the subject of same-sex marriage and whether it is a struggle comparable to that of the Black Civil Rights movement in the United States.

What?! Excuse me?! A comparison of what?! Is THAT what that article was about? Well, yes; it was actually. Or at least, it was supposed to be. The one thing that I have quickly learned about starting a discussion -- particularly one that is controversial or emotional, is that the ensuing responses and arguments can quickly go on tangents. I suppose the rule-of-thumb in engaging and moderating a particular issue is to shape it as neatly and narrowly as possible into a form that does not touch upon too many peripheral topics. In other words, tryto define its parameters. I believe I failed in that regard.

As I look at my original article and the many responses to it, I see so many other topics that sprung out of the original subject matter: Racism, homophobia, self-hatred, religion, slavery history, literacy history, Christian history, black-on-black crime, the Black church, genetics, the Constitution -- and so many others. Heck, I think someone even brought up SEWING! Don’t believe me? Stasha (AKA “the doggedpursuit”) said:

“I'm looking forward to your take in part two. I'm on pins and needles here, honey -- pins and needles.” (emphasis added) See -- told ya!

As this is a subject that can take on a life of its own – or rather, it is a subject that can take on an IMMORTAL life of its own, I will not belabor it much further. After all, I have many other subjects matters to discuss -- that will piss people off! I will bring this subject to a close by addressing a question that (again) my great friend Stasha asked in her last comment on 12/17::

“Are you saying that that same religious belief is a justification for actively OPPOSING that the minority group has the same rights as the majority? In short, an obligation to vocally oppose?”

My answer is, No. I am saying that people who hold such religious beliefs have the right to vocally oppose – whether they are in the majority or the minority. The point is – we cannot inhibit the exercise of one right (speech/expression) for the perpetuation of another. The Ku Klux Klan is a hate group. If they had their way, I (and anyone who looked like me), would still be in the fields -- or at least, nowhere near the White House – or white people! The negative opinions about this organization range from descriptions of “ignorant” to “satanic” and “evil.” But though they would lynch my Black behind as fast as you can say “rope,” I would vehemently defend their right to speak out and oppose my very right to American citizenship, were it at issue.

The topic I intended to press in this article was a comparison of the Black Civil Rights movement and the Gay Rights Movement. Personally, I believe there are more dissimilarities than similarities. However, I believe that Gay rights and same-sex marriage advocates can take a lesson from the Civil Rights movement and its leaders. My study of the movement and its history did not reveal a strategy of silencing the opposition. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the other leaders and organizers of the movement did not engage a tactic of denigration, belittlement or the minimization of other people’s rights to oppose their movement. Instead, they took their movement to the streets and educated people about their history, their plight and their struggle. They made it clear that the laws and the treatment of Black people could not be easily reconciled with the words (if not the legislative intent) of the Constitution. It is the reason why many Civil Rights scholars are skeptical that other Black leaders like Malcolm X and other less “passive resistance” strategists could have been as successful as "quickly."

My advice: Talk to and educate people on the merits and necessity of the cause – one person at a time if necessary. I understand that for many such a discussion is “not up for debate.” Well, that is a position that sometimes just has to be accepted – just as we accept that many people still oppose Blacks’ rights – even in my hometown of good ol' Ocala, Florida!

The word “tolerance” has become almost cliché on both sides of this issue. The word, in fact, is taboo word for some on the religious right because it implies “concession” on fundamental principles espoused in the Bible. But I believe “human tolerance” is a more appropriate concept onto which we should grasp. The ability to embrace what we do not understand or even that which we oppose is a serious challenge for our society, indeed! But it is a challenge to which we MUST find a solution.

We have spent our entire history trying to establish that “more perfect union.” All the while we have failed to realize that we become more perfect every time we promote inclusion. Inclusion of people – inclusion of ideas and inclusion of opinions. We do not have to agree with each other in order to respect each other. But don’t mind me . . . I’m just thinking here!

5 comments:

  1. Once again, Louis, your insight is fantastic and so worthy of respect. Thank you for being an amazing and thoughtful man.

    I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of inclusion. I think it's true not only of our Country, but also of us as individuals. There was a time not too long ago when I too pre-judged my fellow human being based on the flawed opinions of others -- my family's, my religion, my peers. When I jetisioned that and had to start over deciding what I truly value and respect among my fellow man, I realized that I'd beleived an awful lot of harmful and uneccessary crap. It sucks to realize you've been wrong. It further sucks to realize that you missed out on learning from an awful lot of wonderful people. It sucks even more to realize that the error of your ways caused real harm to people who did not deserve it.

    Of course, when I tore up the old "rules and regs" playbook I realized that I had to create a new one, one that I'm crafting for myself now, as I move along my journey. And for me, it's not enough to "tolerate" what I don't understand. I have to understand it and what I've discovered is that there is nothing, NOTHING, that is beyond my comprehension, both good and bad. And also, for me, I've decided that is both the danger and the opportunity of relearning both respect, and judgement.

    I respect dialogue, humor, learning, openess, growth, the ability to engage in a topic without necessarily feeling a need to adapt it to my life. I'm learning to base my judgement of others on their character -- love, honor, joy, fairness, courage, among others. I have realized that I do not, and will not, respect a person, idea or opinion that goes counter to those values.

    I believe, as an American, that everyone has a right to voice their opinion, even those opinions that are completely unworthy of my respect (e.g. Ku Klux Klan, Nazi's, ELF) but I also believe it is my obligation to counter them. Discrimination, in any form including that based on sexual orientation, to me, falls under that.

    I fail to see dialogue in the argument "this topic isn't open to debate." I see no humor when people who believe in a literal hell alude to the idea that I or any fellow human being is being sent there because we are unworthy of their benevolent God. I see no joy in faces or words filled with disgust or hate. How can we learn if we cannot openly discuss our differences? How can one grow if one cannot or will not hold an oposing view in mind and examine it without feeling that the idea is a threat to the person's very self-identity?

    And finally, I love the way you think, even if you are "just a guy thinking."

    Love and kisses,
    Stasha

    PS - and watch out for those Sewers! You know how they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JustaGuy, your final comments were so thoughtfully and masterfully written that I am in agreement with them. (How do you like that?) I agree that everyone has the right to express the differences in himself or herself and educate people on the issues at hand, but make your cause "your cause." Don't piggyback off the backs of other causes or previous causes and try to get us to "see the light." What I admire about people in general, regardless of ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, etc. is that when you take a stand stand up for it. Don't get upset or unnerved, when I or someone else don't agree with your ideology. That's what sets apart a "great" leader from just "any" leader is when he or she can make a decision and stand by it (whether good or bad). Period. I don't care whether family, friends, colleagues, neighbors agree whole or in part - just stand on it. It's not your job to make me understand your position or belief, but present the facts as you have them available, and allow me to make the decision. Now, I may still disagree with your stand or plight after you've presented the evidence and I've had time to weigh in everything, but that's where you still hold your ground.

    On the other hand, I may have a total change of mind or heart about an issue because you've presented all the factors in a clear, concise and nonconfrontative way and given me time to ponder it, but leave that up to the individual.

    Stasha, I take my cue from a very wise person that says to find common ground and use that to build a foundation of understanding. So with that, I agree that we are both female and minorities. I also agree that we have gone through individual challenges in our lives - I as a conservative Christian woman and you as an outspoken proponent for gay rights. Will I belittle, spew hatred or cause harm towards you because of your stand? Absolutely not. Will I respect you as a woman and listen to your opinion? Absolutely. But will I take a stand for my beliefs and stand on what I believe? Of course.

    The point here is that I can respect the opinions of others and not agree with them. As the saying goes, we agree to disagree. I believe that everyone should have something that they feel passionate about that they can effectively educate and articulate to others without the feeling that everyone won't agree. So what?! That's what makes a cause worthy of attention - it's the one thing that can make people mad but yet get them thinking and possibly changing their mind.

    That's all I have, JustaGuy; thanks for this forum. Give us another juicy tidbit that we can digest and regurgitate. I know, TMI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put, Ladywealth, and I concur. Finding common ground is, I believe, easier than many people think. Who among us can't relate to hope, joy, fear, pain, love, desire, dissappointment, et al?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good comments, LadyWealth! I really appreciate your words and respect your position with regard to your principles and convictions. Also, I appreciate your articulating a profound truth that I have known all along. You said (with particular attention to the last sentence):

    "Stasha, I take my cue from a very wise person that says to find common ground and use that to build a foundation of understanding. So with that, I agree that we are both female and minorities."

    See, Stasha -- LadyWealth has never met you and even she knows that you've got some Black woman in you somewhere!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope my inner Black Woman resides right next to my inner Gay Man and both connect to my inner Human Being or, for those that swing that way, next to the Still Small Voice that tells me I am not alone, the universe is vast, and there's a place for me in it.

    Merry Christmas, Louis and gang. :)
    Stasha

    ReplyDelete